[plug] Apache Problems

Christian christian at global.net.au
Mon Feb 28 15:41:28 WST 2000

Matt Kemner wrote:
> > (it appears that .htaccess files are ignored in the cgi-bin directory)
>
> You can change that with the appropriate "AllowOverride" for your cgi-bin
> directory (in access.conf)

Ahh, ok.  I'll look into that, thanks. :)

> > Unfortunately I can't seem to get Apache to execute CGI scripts in a
> > directory other than the ScriptAlias.  If I configure:
> >
> > <Directory  /home/staff/again/public_html/>
> > AddHandler cgi-script cgi
>
> As Tony pointed out, it needs to be .cgi (at least all the examples I've
> seen have been .cgi)

The example in the "Apache: The Definitive Guide" by O'Reilly doesn't
show the full-stop but I've tried both with it and without and both give
the same results. :(  I think the "cgi" but is just a pattern that gets
matched against the filename so "cgi" and ".cgi" should both work.

> > Options +ExecCGI
>
> You don't want a + in front of ExecCGI either.

I understand that if you don't put the + in then all the other options
get switched off.  If you include the plus then the other options stay
the same and the specified option is added.  Either way, it doesn't work
with or without the plus. :(

> > b) Why Apache is not doing what I want?
>
> You might want to check httpd.conf and check you are loading the required
> modules for what you want to do.
>
> eg.
>
> LoadModule auth_module /usr/lib/apache/1.3/mod_auth.so # for user auth
> LoadModule cgi_module /usr/lib/apache/1.3/mod_cgi.so   # for CGI scripts

Both modules are loaded in my configuration...

Thanks to everyone else for their suggestions but unfortunately it still
doesn't work... :(  I'm going to try Matt's idea for allowing .htaccess
files in the cgi-bin directory since that will probably allow me to do
what I want but it's still odd that Apache seems to be ignoring the
configuration options I give it (and, yes, I have restarted it!).  If
anyone's got any more suggestions then please let me know. :)

Regards,

Christian.