[plug] web page problem

Leon Brooks leonb at bounce.networx.net.au
Thu Jan 6 10:27:40 WST 2000

russ wrote:
> --------------------------------------
> Microsoft OLE DB Provider for ODBC Drivers error
> '80004005'

> [Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][SQL Server]Your
> server  command (process id 135) was deadlocked with
> another process  and has been chosen as deadlock victim.
> Re-run your command

> /include/session.asp, line 40
> --------------------------------------

> I've never seen this before and was curious if anyone
> knows what it means?

It means (1) that the person who wrote that ASP doesn't understand
locking and/or (2) the ODBC layer they used didn't understand locking
(ie didn't do a BEGIN WORK ... COMMIT block around their update) or made
a mistake or (3) MS SQL is stuffed.

It didn't happen with Netscrape simply because it doesn't happen every
time. If you tried again with KFM, it would be unlikely to recur (unless
the ASP writer stuffed up _really_ badly, which is not beyond the realms
of probability. (-:

--
Confidence is the feeling you have before you understand the situation.
If at first you don't succeed, try a shorter bungee. When in trouble,