[plug] What are the real differences between Linux and FreeBSD?

Christian christian at global.net.au
Mon Jan 10 08:45:22 WST 2000

Bret Busby wrote:

> > BSD = Berkeley Standard Distribution.
> >

> Actually, it appears that BSD = Berkeley Software Distribution ( "An
> Introduction to Operating Systems" 2 Ed, Harvey Deitel, and, "UNIX Unleashed",
> SAMS Development Team, 1994).

"Programming Perl" (which, incidentally contains the best definition of
BSD I've ever read) also calls it "Berkeley Standard Distribution" but
I've read books that suggest "Berkeley Systems Distribution" is the
authoritative name.  It seems the only part they can really agree on is
the "Berkeley" bit.

Regards,

Christian.