[plug] LANS and email and stuff

Christian christian at global.net.au
Sat Jan 15 19:38:42 WST 2000

Jeremy Malcolm wrote:
> How does it work at the ISP's end?  I've found the answer as it
> applies to sendmail at
> http://www.linuxgazette.com/issue36/tag/80.html, but I'm using smail.
> I posted a message to comp.mail.smail some time ago but the guy who
> responded suggested there is *no* special setup required for smail to
> act as a secondary mail exchanger, except to stick its IP address in
> as an MX record.  I hope he is wrong, otherwise Joe Bozo can specify
> my mail server as a secondary MX and I'll cache mail for him.  I guess
> would it be sufficient if I added the domain I wish to MX for to
> "more_hostnames" in the smail config file?

My understanding is that if your smail is not an open relay then you
won't have the problem of people using your mail server as a backup mail
cache without your permission.  I'm pretty sure that all recent versions
of smail come configured to prevent relaying (mine certainly was) so you
shouldn't have this problem.  Does that answer your question...?

Regards,

Christian.

--
What if there were no hypothetical questions?