[plug] pppd defaultroute problems

Greg Raftery GregR at scs.com.au
Sun Jan 16 12:01:35 WST 2000

Hello,

I am having some trouble establishing a permanent modem connection, and it
seems to be a routing problem.

I have one setup to an ISP, with dynamic IP's that works fine, giving me
full connectivity. I can't get my other setup, which is to Telstra with
static IP's to work. My scripts dial and authenticate ok, and the ppp0
interface becomes active. I can ping the IP assigned to my ppp0 interface,
but cannot ping the peer who I am dialled into.

When I check out 'netstat -r', it doesn't return the routing table and just
hangs. If I turned off the 'defaultroute' option of pppd, 'netstat -r' will
return the routing table containing just my eth0 an lo interfaces. After
adding the route to the peer and the default route manually, I get stuck
with the 'netstat -r' hanging and still not being able to ping.

Thanks in advance for any pointers

Regards,
Greg Raftery