[plug] Storm Linux 2k and Corel

Bevan Broun bevanb at ee.uwa.edu.au
Tue Jan 18 11:14:23 WST 2000

on Tue, Jan 18, 2000 at 11:06:44AM +0800, Nick Bannon <nick at ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au> wrote:

> That's a good thing. A GUI front end for dselect or dpkg is all well and
> good - essential perhaps for a commercial release, and clamoured for
> for so long. If that and that alone was what we got, we wouldn't have
> the wonder that is APT and now debconf. Now Corel, etc can take _that_
> and build on it, while the rest of the Debian project works on.

Corel seem to be very slack with security. They have no web page or
maillist for security issues. One of their gui wrappers was suid and
used the cp command without the full path! A very basic mistake. That
Corel are happy to ignore security for a nice gui is a very bad thing
and reminds me of MS.

BB
--
Bevan Broun                                           ph (08) 9380 1587
Computer Systems Officer                             fax (08) 9380 1065