[plug] black magic? was RE: pppd defaultroute problems

Greg Raftery GregR at scs.com.au
Thu Jan 20 11:00:02 WST 2000

Okay, problem solvered, but I'll be buggered if I know how. I talked to some
Telstra blokes yesterday, got home and tested and had the same problems, ie.
can't ping a thing.

I added the 'persist' option to pppd so that when the Telstra bloke checked
it out today, it would reconnect when he terminated the connection. Manually
terminated the connection to test out the auto reconnecting, and decided
what the hell, I'll try to ping again, and what do ya know, it started
pinging back.

There was no other configuration change at my end except the 'persist'. Not
sure about the Telstra end, but it didn't work the first few times last
night and all of a sudden, like black magic it did.

One happy net-connected chappy,
Greg Raftery