[plug] help and comment

Anthony J. Breeds-Taurima tony at cantech.net.au
Fri Jan 21 10:45:26 WST 2000

On Fri, 21 Jan 2000 navarre at omen.net.au wrote:

> I am seeking assistance and comment on:
>
> 1) Text based email client. I have tried Mutt and currently using Elm
>    and find these lacking in many of the features in use in DOS and
>    Windows email readers. Most imporant are mail lists and the ability
>    to save you owb outgoing mail.

I use Pine.
When you define an address you can optionally select the out-going floder to
store the mail into (FCC).  The default is sent-mail.

As far as lists go you can just define on entry to have multiple recipients.
elm cante certainly do this.

> 2) Samba CLient. I am operarting a Sparc IPC debianised in a NT environment
>    and I would like to be able to access the shared drives and perhaps the
>    printer. I scanned the samba doco looking for a quick setup of just the
>    client. Most of the doco seems focused on the NT boxes connecting to
>    the Linux box, I do not want it to work this way.

Install the latest samba packages and then read:
http://au2.samba.org/samba/ftp/docs/htmldocs/DOMAIN_MEMBER.html

That should help you alot.

> 3) I have fetchmail working fine as a daemon but its startup is manual,
>    where in the startup is the recommended place to invoke fetchmail.

Under RedHat I'd probably place it in rc.local A debain user can advise you on
the best way to do this properly.

Yours Tony.