[plug] APT-Proxy/Debian package sharing

Peter Wright pete at cygnus.uwa.edu.au
Tue Jan 25 17:24:56 WST 2000

On Tue, Jan 25, 2000 at 09:20:20AM +0000, Christian wrote:
> Peter Wright wrote:
> > My housemate achieves this with no problems (that I know of) using
> > squid. One machine runs squid and caches the files as they are
> > apt-got... the others will then get them from the proxy cache when
> > they run apt-get install/upgrade/whatever.
> >
> > Is there any reason that this solution wouldn't work for you?
>
> I suppose it could work but it relies on the files not being flushed
> from the cache in between being used.  For example, I upgrade one
> machine with some new unstable packages -- I'll probably want to use
> that for a couple of days or so at least to make sure that they don't
> break anything.  In between that time squid may very well flush them
> from the cache. :(

I'm not the best person to discuss the issue with here - I should
probably put you in touch with my housemate :). However, I suspect you
can probably configure squid to a fairly high degree, perhaps making
it pay more respect to files from your particular Debian mirror, etc.,
so it doesn't flush them as quickly (or at all).

> I'll probably go back and have another look at apt-proxy and see if I
> can't work out what's going wrong.  Unfortunately it's a shell script

Aaaggh!

> and shell scripting has never been my forte (I was introduced to Perl
> and it forever corrupted my mind against shell scripts...)

As well it should. :)

> Thanks for the suggestion anyway. :)
>
> Christian.

Pete the Corrupted By Perl A Loooong Time Ago.
--
http://cygnus.uwa.edu.au/~pete/

--
Proverb: A nightingale that forgets the lyrics is a hummingbird.