[plug] APT-Proxy/Debian package sharing

Brad Campbell brad at seme.com.au
Thu Jan 27 11:19:42 WST 2000

Christian wrote:
> As far as I can tell cern-httpd is just a web server so this won't
> actually help.  The problem is not so much distributing the packages I
> have on a CD but rather sharing the packages that I download via APT
> (and are cached in /var/cache/apt/archives on that machine) so that
> apt-get's on other machines will find these cached packages and use
> them.  I don't see how a web server will solve this problem... am I
> missing something?
>
> Pete's suggestion of squid is interesting, the major limitation seems to
> be being able to manage the apt-gotten files so that they are not
> flushed by the cache automatically but rather can be flushed manually
> when no longer required.  The squid documentation seems to be a little
> thin on the ground but a brief glance over the user's guide doesn't seem
> to indicate how this could be done.  If anyone has any suggestions then
> please let me know. :)

cern-httpd is just a web server, but then so is squid really..
my idea was to setup the web server so its serving from the first
machines /var/cache/apt/archives dir and the other machines
all point thier sources.list at this server..

To quote the Vicar of Dibley, I'll just throw some ideas into bed
and see if you shag them ;p)

--
Brad....
"The ultimate result is that some innovations that would