[plug] This Mailing list

Matt Kemner zombie at networx.net.au
Thu Jan 27 15:45:31 WST 2000

On Thu, 27 Jan 2000, Christian wrote:

> John Summerfield wrote:
> >
> > Highly improbable; if sendmail were that bad, nobody at all would use it.
> > However, sendmail is, if not the most-used MTA, then close to it. Plug's
> > list is hardly a high-activity one.
>
> I've heard it often repeated that sendmail doesn't work well with large
> lists.

I think it boils down the the fact that sendmail is optimised for "normal"
email patterns (ie one recipient per message) which is why it may not be
as fast handling large mailing lists as QMail might be, which I'm told
is optimised for large numbers of recipients per message.

That doesn't mean "sendmail is a bad MTA" and "QMail is a good MTA"
It means they each suit their purpose.

I don't know what postfix is optimised for, only that is was written from
scratch with security in mind, which is one of the reasons I wanted a
closer look at it.

 - Matt