[plug] This Mailing list

Christian christian at global.net.au
Sat Jan 29 14:52:29 WST 2000

Leon Brooks wrote:

> Christian, please note: horses for courses. Sendmail is not a bad mail
> agent in any sense. The closest you could honestly hint in the direction
> of "bad" would be "nearing retirement age" or "would probably benefit
> from rewriting." You young whipper-snappers have no respect for
> experience: bow before the ancient knowledge! (-:

I never said it was bad!  In fact, in the piece of my email that you
just quoted I actually explicitly said that "bad" would not be a correct
way to describe it!  I'm sure I've said at least once in this thread
that there may be situations where there is no real alternative to
sendmail.  What I am saying is that *most* of the time there are better
options, if people care to explore them.  I have full respect for
sendmail's maturity as an MTA, however, I do think that this has brought
problems.  It's "crutfy" nature (as YOU put it) is a prime example.  If
it really is "nearing retirement age" then shouldn't people be aware of
the alternatives?

Regards,

Christian.

--
Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from
a rigged demo.