[plug] Arguing on list

Bret Busby bret at clearsol.iinet.net.au
Sun Jan 30 02:37:32 WST 2000

Leon Brooks wrote:

> Bret Busby wrote:
> > Leon Brooks wrote:
> >> Heck, arguing on lists has gone on for a long time, at least it
> >> has for the twenty years I've participated,

I wasn't aware that PLUG was that old.

> >> and was going on
> >> when I arrived.
>
> > That doesn't make it right!
>
> Maybe not, but it does make it acceptable, else it would have been
> stopped by now.

That depends on whether a moderator does their job.

> And maybe it _does_ make it right. Perhaps a forum for argument is a
> useful function for a list.

So much for Linux!

Perhaps, if any of the PLUG committee read this, they might consider the purpose
of the mailing list, and whether it is to be a forum for belligerent argument,
or, whether it is to serve the purposes to which I referred in my previous email
on the matter, relating to Linux.

If they choose the former, and go along with what Leon has put, then PLUG may as
well be wound up, as it will have abandoned its objectives.

If what Leon has suggested is upheld, then the committee cannot seriously expect
any new people to be encouraged to give much credibility to either the mailing
list, or to Linux.

I do not know how other subscribers to the mailing list feel about the mailing
list being used as a fighting pit, as opposed to being a constructive medium for
learning about Linux.

With this and my previous email on this thread, I believe that I have said what
I have to say on the matter, and that there is not much more for me to say.

Thus, I conclude on the topic.

--

Bret Busby