[plug] RH Upgrade / X problem

Dave T Burbidge dave969 at iinet.net.au
Sat Jul 1 09:43:04 WST 2000

Richard (and others),

Tried that ... The three finger salute is how I'm shutting the box down ...
even then it doesn't recognise it straight away...

Repeated ALT-CTRL-F1 (... and the rest) don't do anything ... at a guess, X
isn't starting cleanly, but init notices that it's stopped, and tries to
respawn it ... and yes, I tried Alt-CTRL-BS earlier... :(

What do you reckon my chances of telnetting to the box are ... it's either
that or I'll need a boot disk...

OK, so I can telnet to the box (I'll blame the Black Label JB for not thinking
of it earlier :)   ... and JOE sucks under the standard Loser95 telnet client.

OK, at run level 3, when I attempt to start X, I get the following (just after
the stuff that says the screen drivers are fine (I know how to fix them)) -

---------------

The XKEYBOARD keymap compiler (xkbcomp) reports:
Error: bad length in Geometry
       Output file "/var/tmp/server-0.xkm" removed
Errors from xkbcomp are not fatal to the X server
Couldn't load XKB keymap, falling back to pre-XKB keymap
_FontTransSocketUNIXConnect: Can't connect: errno = 111
failed to set default font path 'unix/:-1'
Fatal server error:
could not open default font 'fixed'

<blah about reporting problems>

X connection to :0.0 broken (explicit kill or server shutdown).

Any ideas?

BTW, running Xconfigurator didn't help - it even started X to test the display
config fine... :(

Thanks.

Dave