[plug] RH Upgrade / X problem

Russell Steicke r.steicke at bom.gov.au
Sat Jul 1 11:56:36 WST 2000

On Sat, Jul 01, 2000 at 09:43:04AM +0800, Dave T Burbidge wrote:
> Richard (and others),
>
> Tried that ... The three finger salute is how I'm shutting the box down ...
> even then it doesn't recognise it straight away...

If X is cycling (dying and being restarted by init) then whether the three
finger salute is recognised depends on when in the cycle you press it, ie
whether it is seen by X or the console.

I have been in this position before.  The easiest way out (for a
non-networked system) is to reboot, then type ``linux 3'' at the LILO
prompt to start in runlevel 3, not runlevel 5 (redhat system, others
probably use the runlevels in the same way).  Once there you can login,
fix XF86Config, and use startx to test it so that X will only start once
when you tell it.

--
Russell Steicke

-- Fortune says:
War doesn't prove who's right, just who's left.