[plug] Linux and employment

Jon L. Miller jlmiller at mmtnetworks.com.au
Tue Jul 4 16:34:09 WST 2000

Michael is right, used to be certification was important and to a certain
extent it still is.  I have clients that won't look at you unless you have a
certification for 1) network operating system (NOS) and 2) hardware.  Most
major IT firms want the certification in either Novell, Microsoft, Cisco and
Unix, hardware certification in either HP, IBM or Compaq as well as
experience.
What is it worth, where I'm from big bucks $$$$$, here it does helps but not
overly important.

FMPOV
I use certified people for one main reason I have an idea of what they have
learned and this can help in situations where one has to think on their own
and on their feet.  But what counts the most to me is the number of years in
the IT field and certifications is a bonus.
I hired a engineer with a Novell CNA and Microsoft MCP and the poor guy
couldn't find his way around the servers because he had never worked on one
in real life, just simulations.  This does a great deal of harm to certified
engineers who have put in the time in the real world.  I had 8 yrs
experience with Novell before I got my MCNE and 3 years with Compaq before I
got my ASE. yes the certification helps in that these firms are constantly
testing you and keeping you up to date with their products and technology
either by CBT or classes that are mandatory.

When I went for my CNE it was a year long course at a college in the states
that was held 3 evenings a week for 4 hours per session, exams every session
and troubleshooting.  Nowadays one can buy a book read it and take the exam,
but does this proves he knows his way around....NO!!.

So my advice get the experience where ever you can, get the certification
after that and then present the package to a well known IT firm and get some
years working with them.  Do not stagnant by keeping the same job for more
than 2-3 years.  In the states if one stayed on a job longer than 3 yrs the
other outfits may not hire you.

good luck in what you decide.

Jon L. Miller
Novell Master CNE