[plug] re: Samba password problem

Richard Sharpe sharpe at ns.aus.com
Tue Jul 4 07:03:05 WST 2000

At 09:54 PM 7/4/00 +0800, someone wrote:

>MMT wrote:
>
>> I have a share on a test server that isn't accepting my password when I
dial
>> in fom home.  The following is the information from that section in
>> smb.conf.  Any reason whay I can't get  access to this share.  The home PC
>> is Win98, when i try to map a drive letter to the Linux server a dialog box
>> comes up asking for a password, but it does not accept the one(s) I've
>> tried.

Hmmm, I have seen some problems relating to access via dialup.

Could you grab a trace of the traffic and uuencode it and email it to me?

If you can, from the server, try:

  tcpdump -i ppp0 -s 1500 -w somefile

And then ^c after you have finished the dial-up test, uuencode it and send
it to me as an attachment.

>> [rasdata]
>>    comment = Jon and Leanne stuff
>>    path = /usr/share
>>    valid users = jlmiller leanne
>>    public = no
>>    writable = yes
>>    printable = no
>>    create mask = 0765
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> Jon
>
>Could it be crypted password problem?
>What version of Windows?
>Where is the rest of your smb.conf?

Regards
-------
Richard Sharpe, sharpe at ns.aus.com
Co-author, SAMS Teach Yourself Samba in 24 Hours
Author: First Australian 5-day, intensive, hands-on Linux SysAdmin course
Author: First Australian 2-day, intensive, hands-on Samba course