[plug] IP addresses and domains

Bradley Browne brad at server.mapsys.com.au
Mon Jul 3 13:31:52 WST 2000

Although not specifically a Linux question I will be using Linux
to implement this and so I am wondering if you could give me your
perspective on the following.

We currently have a domain (203.30.56.*/mapsys.com.au) and we
currently serve mail for our employees and connect our machines
to the internet by assigning IP addresses that are available in
our range.

If I want to start another "domain" (maps.com.au) within our
domain how would I go about it.  Would it just require some more
files for named (maps.com.au as well as mapsys.com.au) and some
setting up in sendmail so that this would be possible ?  How do I
go about getting outside DNS servers to refer packets to this
domain ?  I have been administering Linux for a little while and
so have a fairly loose grasp on the infrastructure that makes all
these thing happen.  I am confident that it is possible but I am
looking to shorten the time it takes me to understand this -- I
have been asked to be able to provide a solution within the week
:-( and as my competence will influence the decision to go with
Linux or W2000 I thought you might be interested in helping me
along.  I don't think I could bear to have the only Linux machine
in our office replaced by that behemoth.

TIA,
Brad

--
Bradley Browne
Support Manager

1st Floor 646 Newcastle St
Leederville, WA 6007
Ph: +61 8 9328 2715 Fax: +61 8 9328 2716
email: brad at mapsys.com.au
http://www.mapsys.com.au/