[plug] Problems building drbd for an SMP 2.2.16 kernel

Richard Sharpe sharpe at ns.aus.com
Tue Jul 4 20:16:50 WST 2000

At 05:43 PM 7/5/00 +0800, Anthony J. Breeds-Taurima wrote:
>On Tue, 4 Jul 2000, Richard Sharpe wrote:
>
>> I am trying to build drbd for a 2.2.16SMP machine, but am having problems
>> when I try to load the module (drbd.o).
>>
>> It tells me that the module was build for a 2.2.16-3 kernel, while we are
>> running on a 2.2.16-3SMP kernel.
>>
>> This suggests that somewhere there is a version file that contains that
>> magic info incorrectly.
>
>Now I'm no kernel hacker BUT it looks like.  Your're running a RedHat built
>kernel.  Given that, the kernel source on your machine prolly doesn't match
>the config for the kernel you're running.  As such when you built the module
>(which will use the kernel sources) it's is building for the wrong type (UP v
>SMP).

Well, I am running a RH kernel, the latest 2.2.16-3SMP RPM. But, I do not
have the kernel source on the machine.  However, I do have the kernel
headers so that drbd will build :-)

I have just built drbd on a stock RH 6.2 SMP build on another machine (got
SMP machines comin' out my ears, y'see :-), and it built fine and loads OK.

So, I am mystified at the moment, as I can't see which include it is
getting the version info from.

>If that is true, I'd guess that you have serveral options.
>1) d/l, build and install your own kernel and build drdb against that.
>2) the kernel source and the .config file that the kernel you are running
was
>   built with and do a make oldconfig.  Then build the drdb modules and see
>   what happens.
>3) find a binary module and load that ...... YUCK!!!
>
>If you want to go down option 2 I can get you the .config file and give more
>details on the steps you'd need to do.
>
>> Has anyone seen this problem before?  Can anyone suggest a fix.
>
>Never had this problem ..... mainly guessing.
>

>Yours Tony.
>
>/*
> * "The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the
> * same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
> * --Albert Einstein
> */

Regards
-------
Richard Sharpe, sharpe at ns.aus.com
Co-author, SAMS Teach Yourself Samba in 24 Hours
Author: First Australian 5-day, intensive, hands-on Linux SysAdmin course
Author: First Australian 2-day, intensive, hands-on Samba course