[Fwd: Re: [plug] Windows and Linux]

Bret Busby bret at clearsol.iinet.net.au
Fri Jul 7 13:33:00 WST 2000

Bret Busby wrote:

<snip>

> I trust that your people have sufficiently powerful laptops, to run the
> stuff? From what I understand, at least 32 MB is required for each of
> the base OS, and, each of the virtual machines, and, from what I have
> seen, and, from what I understand, about 128MB of RAM, and, a good, fast
> CPU, are required, to effectively use WMWare. The web page above,
> recommends a minimum of 128MB of RAM.

In thinking about that, I believe that the RAM requirements that I
stated, are for the OS's, only; add to that, any RAM requirements for
the applications.

When Tony demonstrated VMWare, at UCC, about a year ago (I believe it
was), from memory, his desktop PC (as in faster than a laptop with the
equivalent configuration, from what I understand), had 192MB of RAM,
running WinNT 4 on top of VMWare, on top of Linux. I may be wrong in
that, but, that is what I remember. That did not give extraordinarily
fast performance, probably about the same as I get, with a Cyrix CPU
with 32MB RAM, running WinNT 4, I think. In other words, the
configuration just gave average performance, with the OS/VMWare
combination. This is no reflection on Tony's computer; my point is that
it is all very resource-hungry, from what I understand.

Once again, I may be wrong...

--

Bret Busby