[plug] 4 Port Serial Card

Leon Brooks leon at brooks.smileys.net
Sat Jul 8 23:30:55 WST 2000

> Kai wrote:
>
> I am trying to configure my Red Hat 6.2 box with a 4 port PCI serial
> card for dial-in use.
> I can get port 1 (Com 3) to work so mgetty has the "DT" button active,
> but the other 3 ports (Com 4, 5 and 6) don't wanna be detected by
> mgetty.
>
> Does anyone have any ideas on how to get this PCI card working
> properly?

cat /proc/pci and see what IO ranges and IRQs it has reserved. Serial
ports come in blocks of (from memory) 8 bytes, so look for a chunk
either 32 bytes (4 ports) long, or 24 bytes (3 ports, the other one
emulating COM3. If you're lucky, you get four blocks of 8 bytes. You can
use pciutils to put those anywhere in IO space you like. Either way, use
setserial to tell the ttyS3..5 devices where to find those ports.
Normally, they will all share in interrupt.

If you get a separate small (byte or two) chunk of memory, that's
probably an interrupt arbitration register and things get harder at this
point.

Zeus sell a simple little 4-port card with all of the IO and IRQ lines
on jumpers. You can trust jumpers. It also means that you can give each
port a different IRQ and let the PIC chip settle their demands for CPU
time.

--
Linux will not get in the door by simply mentioning it... it must win
by proving itself superior. We have no marketing department, our sales