[plug] Missing disk space

Christian christian at amnet.net.au
Thu Jul 13 10:45:10 WST 2000

Hi all,

I just stuck a new disk in my machine as primary slave IDE.  BIOS seemed
to detect it (although the summary at boot time didn't show it), kernel
detected it and cfdisk detected it with full 1.2GB of data there.  So I
made a single primary partition using up all the disk space -- still no
problems.  I ran mke2fs over the new partition as per usual, mount the
drive and I get:

diffie:~# df
/dev/hda3              1930691   1489423    341476  81% /
/dev/hdb1               738608        24    701064   0% /mnt

fdisk warns me that:

diffie:~# fdisk /dev/hdb

The number of cylinders for this disk is set to 2482.
There is nothing wrong with that, but this is larger than 1024,
and could in certain setups cause problems with:
1) software that runs at boot time (e.g., LILO)
2) booting and partitioning software from other OSs
   (e.g., DOS FDISK, OS/2 FDISK)

But still seems alright:

Command (m for help): p

Disk /dev/hdb: 16 heads, 63 sectors, 2482 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 1008 * 512 bytes

   Device Boot    Start       End    Blocks   Id  System
   /dev/hdb1             1      2482   1250896+  83  Linux

Is it because the cylinders are over 1024 that mke2fs doesn't correctly
detect the correct size?  Has anyone ran into this before?  (I never
have and I've installed A LOT of disks into Linux machines... have I
just been lucky?).

The mke2fs manual tells me that "_blocks-count_ is the number of blocks
on the device.  If omitted, mke2fs automagically figures the file system
size."  I assume that I can just put in 1250896 as the block size and it
will work fine?  Any comments/suggestions/advice are welcome.

Regards,

Christian.