[plug] Missing disk space

Steve Grasso steveg at calm.wa.gov.au
Thu Jul 13 11:29:28 WST 2000

On Thu, 13 Jul 2000, Christian wrote:

> I just stuck a new disk in my machine as primary slave IDE.  BIOS seemed
> to detect it (although the summary at boot time didn't show it)

Suggestion 1:

You've probably already accounted for this, but here goes:
Does the BIOS setup allow you to auto-detect the disk? If so, does the BIOS
correctly auto-detect the disk? If the disk is not showing up in the boot time
summary, I would suggest the BIOS has not registered it. In this case, if
mke2fs gets its auotomagic info from the BIOS, I imagine it won't handle the
disk correctly

Observation 1:

> Disk /dev/hdb: 16 heads, 63 sectors, 2482 cylinders
> Units = cylinders of 1008 * 512 bytes

512 byte clusters? cf. below:

>diffie:~# df
>Filesystem           1k-blocks      Used Available Use% Mounted on
>/dev/hda3              1930691   1489423    341476  81% /
>/dev/hdb1               738608        24    701064   0% /mnt

mke2fs seems to be assuming 1024 byte clusters. This may be contributing to
the spurious size

Suggestion 2:
(If suggestion 1 and/or observation 1 are of no use)

> The mke2fs manual tells me that "_blocks-count_ is the number of blocks
> on the device.  If omitted, mke2fs automagically figures the file system
> size."  I assume that I can just put in 1250896 as the block size and it
> will work fine?

Try it and see?

Regards,
Steve