[plug] ADSL rollout from Telstra

SweenyTod sweenytod at sweenytod.com
Tue Jul 18 11:11:45 WST 2000

I suppose my first question is PLEASE - is there an alternative to using
Telstra's Bigpond to get this?  iinet aren't ready to sign people up, and
in fact don't seem to have any information available to anybody apart from
the fact they're thinking about it.

Second, I assume the linux drivers for dsl modems are available?  The
Alcatel 1000 modem mentioned on the website has linux drivers, but an
internal Telstra newsletter says they're not using that one.  Just as well
too, from what i've read.  It seems to have trouble maintaining a
connection for long periods.

I've had bad conversations with Telstra people.  They seem to assume
everybody lives in Melbourne or Sydney, and runs Win98.  My hopes for a
linux support option are not very big I'm afraid. Optus are worse - I'm not
sure they've even admitted Western Australia exists.

I want ADSL and I want it now!  :)  Any info appreciated, thanks.

Cya

Bradley Woodward.

Attend the tale of Sweeney Todd.    His skin was pale and his eye was odd.
Always trust an Australian with a razor.

http://www.sweenytod.com               Paranoid is normal, normal is good