[plug] RH 6.1 -- RH6.2

bburns at erggroup.com bburns at erggroup.com
Wed Jul 19 14:22:41 WST 2000

Mike Wrote:

> Our US branch of the company "insists" we use RH6.1 for development
> purposes and we "can not" use 6.2 until they say so. Being fairly new to
> RH admin and not knowing much about C++ programming or development I am
> looking for points to back ths assertion or blow it out of the water.

There are two points to this argument and it depends upon the deployment
environment.  If you use 6.2 you will quite likely have different libraries /
versions of libraries which may be incompatable with 6.1.  If you know you're
going to be deploying in a 6.1 environment- stick with 6.1.  If you don't know
the dep. env. then its probably best to code on as many different environments
as possible so that errors show up early - but the cost is that development may
be slightly slower, especially while working out what the incompatabilities
are...

Just my 2c worth - hope its useful though

> Thanks
You're welcome

Cheers,
Ben