[plug] Press Release: Richard Sharpe & NS Computer Software gaincontracts on open source software

Leon Brooks leon at brooks.smileys.net
Wed Jul 26 11:08:58 WST 2000

Bret Busby wrote:
> Richard Sharpe wrote:
>> In what may be a world-first, Richard Sharpe and NS Computer Software &
>> Services P/L (NS) has gained two contracts on open source software.

>> NS now has contracts to work on Ethereal, the popular GTK+-based packet
>> capture and decode package.  These contracts include:

>>   - Writing both a user's guide and a developers guide for Ethereal.
>>     This will provide high-quality documentation for Ethereal.

>>   - Writing an Ethereal dissector and a tcpdump decoder for the new
>>     BXXP protocol. This conract was obtained via SourceXchange, the
>>     marketplace for opensource development.

>> NS Computer will seek to further develop its role an[d] capability
>> as a player in the open source software world.  These developments
>> complement its already strong position as a supplier in the rapidly
>> expanding arena of Open Source Software, with a Samba course and a
>> Linux course having been developed and being actively presented.

> Is this acceptable use of the mailing list?

I vote "yes." The only touchy bit is the last RS paragraph I quoted, and
if we can survive announcements of (free, and soon Free) StarOffice here
without comment, we can tolerate this.

BTW, Richard, "complement" is a poor word to use in the computer world,
as it also means "invert" or "opposite", as in ~0 == MAXINT.

> The posting is self promotion; is not seeking advice on a problem, and
> is not seeking paid assistance, but is rather, apparently, using the
> mailing list for free advertising of commercial services.

Uh, commercial? Therein lies the nub. I would suspect that a close
reading would reveal that it is not soliciting business, nor are the
projects contained therein of a commercial nature.

> The posting is entitled "Press Release". I thought that such items
> should be directed to such entities as freshmeat, slashdot, perhaps,
> Linux Gazette, etc.

It probably has been. And to all of his friends as well. (-:

--
Linux will not get in the door by simply mentioning it... it must win
by proving itself superior. We have no marketing department, our sales