[plug] Press Release: Richard Sharpe & NS Computer Software gaincontracts on open source software

Christian christian at amnet.net.au
Wed Jul 26 12:10:21 WST 2000

On Wed, Jul 26, 2000 at 11:08:58AM +0800, Leon Brooks wrote:

> BTW, Richard, "complement" is a poor word to use in the computer world,
> as it also means "invert" or "opposite", as in ~0 == MAXINT.

It's been a while since I programmed 16-bit Pascal but I recall MAXINT
being 32767.  Therefore ~0 == -1.  Also, regardless of whether
we're in the "computer world" or not, we're still speaking English so
it's perfectly valid usage.

> > The posting is self promotion; is not seeking advice on a problem, and
> > is not seeking paid assistance, but is rather, apparently, using the
> > mailing list for free advertising of commercial services.
>
> Uh, commercial? Therein lies the nub. I would suspect that a close
> reading would reveal that it is not soliciting business, nor are the
> projects contained therein of a commercial nature.

It's self-promotion whether it's commercial or not.  Is blatant
self-promotion for no other purpose acceptable on this list?  There are
a lot of people with certain interests (some commercial, some not) but
it doesn't mean they seek to promote those interests at every turn.
Either way, part of the press release related to a company so I would
assume there is some commercial interest there to some degree.  Either
way, I for one aren't interested in receiving any more press releases --
there are plenty of mailing lists and web sites dedicated to these
already.

Contrast this with Beau Kuiper on this list who is developing his own
free software FTP server.  When the topic comes up, he mentions the
server and gives it a quick plug.  But this is when someone else raises
the topic first so it's certainly always on-topic.  Such quick, relevant
plugs seem quite reasonable (and even interesting) but to receive
entirely pre-emptive self-promotion for no apparent reason just seems
rude.

> > The posting is entitled "Press Release". I thought that such items
> > should be directed to such entities as freshmeat, slashdot, perhaps,
> > Linux Gazette, etc.
>
> It probably has been. And to all of his friends as well. (-:

We're not all his friends -- not that this is anything personal I'm
sure, just that I don't know him at all! :-)

At the end of the day I agree with Bret; this list is about Linux+Perth
and helping people -- not about promoting companies or individuals.

Regards,

Christian.