[plug] Spoofed packets

Earnshaw, Mike earnshawm at wa.switch.aust.com
Thu Jun 1 15:09:04 WST 2000

List,

Monitoring the logs recently I see lots of attempts from 192.168.1.6:80
to weird ports (>62k) on our ISP permanent assigned IP. Showing my
ignorance, I assume these are spoofed packets since they are the private
C which should be dropped?

I traceroute the number and it goes back to somewhere in Melbourne
before I loose it.

Most of these "attacks" come in the middle of the night. Is there a way
(is it worth it?) that I can catch the "real" person and follow it back?

I'm just paranoid about somebody getting in and want to slap them with a
rotten dead fish or something ....

Thanks

----
Mike Earnshaw       | "It don't mean a thing if     | e-mail in header
Computer Systems    | you cain't get that Ping...." | Tel: +61 8 9256
1099
  Support           |    Duke Ellington, 1932       | Fax: +61 8 9256
1199
----
Union Switch & Signal, 24 Bannick Court, Canning Vale, WA 6155,
Australia