[plug] Attacking spoofers

Peter Wright pete at cygnus.uwa.edu.au
Thu Jun 1 15:46:23 WST 2000

On Thu, Jun 01, 2000 at 03:40:36PM +0800, Leon Brooks wrote:
> "Earnshaw, Mike" wrote:
> > Is there a way (is it worth it?) that I can catch the "real"
> > person and follow it back?
> >
> > I'm just paranoid about somebody getting in and want to slap them
> > with a rotten dead fish or something
>
> I've read about someone who traced the cracker back to their ISP, used
> the cracker's own cracks at the ISP to get their user info, looked them
> up in the phone book, stalked them, beat the crap out of them, stuck
> cocaine inside their hubcaps and told the (US) Feds where it was,
> result: cracker is now doing a 3 year drugs sentence. Is this the kind
> of thing that you had in mind?

This was the guy in the comments of the rootprompt.org cracker story?

*shakes head* Don't know _what_ that guy was on. Someone else pointed
out that the amount of cocaine he allegedly planted on the alleged
cracker he allegedly tracked down would be worth in the order of $25K.

Not that the story was terribly convincing even without that minor
detail being pointed out... ;)

> --
> If at first you don't succeed, try a shorter bungee.

Personally I'd find it quite satisfying to hunt down a cracker and
beat the crap out of them, but considering (a) the long odds against
someone bothering to crack into my pissant dialup system, and (b) the
even longer odds against a cracker being conveniently locatable in the
Perth metro district.... :)

Pete.
--
http://cygnus.uwa.edu.au/~pete/

30. Even though you died last week, you've managed to retain OPS on your
    favorite IRC channel.