[plug] Woohoo - Q3 finally works

Peter Wright pete at cygnus.uwa.edu.au
Sat Jun 3 13:35:36 WST 2000

On Fri, Jun 02, 2000 at 08:35:31PM +0800, Peter Wright wrote:
[ snip ]
> 1346 frames in 36.0 seconds = 37.4fps
>
> That was at 1280x1024.

Sorry any who were reading and taking me seriously. :)

I made a mistake, I was actually running at 800x600 when getting that
framerate [0]. I'd got the impression from the linux Quake3 docs that Q3
would by default run at the resolution of the Xserver you started it in -
which it apparently doesn't.

After further testing, it turns out 1280x1024 does _not_ run terribly well,
only about 21fps, and 1600x1200 is laughable at about 9fps.

These were all at either 24 or 32 bpp - I'm not sure exactly which again
due to some confusing info in the XFree86/Nvidia/Q3 docs.

On a slightly related topic, drunk with the success of getting Q3 to work,
I brought myself crashing back to earth by completely failing to get Unreal
Tournament to work (executable crashed with a SEGV on startup ;). However,
I'm about to subscribe to the OpenUT (http://openut.sourceforge.net/)
developer's list and maybe see if I can help to do some debugging.

Pete.

[0] Quite frankly though, it looks bloody good, and I think I'll probably
keep running it at that res under Linux.
--
http://cygnus.uwa.edu.au/~pete/

163. You go outside for the fresh air (at -30 degrees) but open the
     window first to hear new mail arrive.