[plug] [Fwd: ECHALK: INTERNET MONITORING SOFTWARE]

Leon Brooks leon at brooks.smileys.net
Tue Jun 6 20:23:51 WST 2000

connell wrote:
> Can anyone out there recommend some proprietary software to monitor Internet
> sites that students visit. We are running Nt Proxy but will soon be moving
> to Linux Red Hat.
> We have been given a flyer on WebSpy. Has anyone used it?

Anna, if you use Squid (comes with RedHat), there are a plethora of
rugged, reliable analysis programs for it, as well as redirectors for
blocking pain-in-the-neck sites and/or replacing high-bandwidth add
banners with more useful images. Since you're not a regular ISP, you can
do more or less what you please with the content. For examples, visit
http://www.freshmeat.net/ (pardon the name) and search for "proxy" and
"analyzer".

Some examples of Squid tools:
    http://www.squidguard.org/
    http://Cord.de/tools/squid/calamaris/
    http://www.mrunix.net/webalizer/

That last one will also tell you the most popular search keywords used
(regardless of search engine) and all manner of similar useful
meta-information in addition to the pretty graphs. It was primarily
designed to report on a web _server_, rather than a _proxy_, but serves
the purpose magnificently.

Since I'm literally a stone's throw from you, presuming I could heft the
stone well enough to clear the old asylum (Lisle St, Mount Claremont)
and at least two other Linux experts (Tim Downing of TouchStone Colour
and Greg Mildenhall, UWA Maths graduate) live within a km of John 23rd,
you shouldn't have a problem finding help!

There are other reliable and familiar choice to make in terms of Linux
distributions as well, so don't feel bound to RedHat. After NT Proxy,
the freedom of choice may take some getting used to. Also, I've watched
a black-hat (cracker) calling NT Proxy "NT Welcome Mat(tm)" because its
presence actually helped him in trying to get at the machines behind it.
The feeling of peace that comes with a well-set-up and reliable system
has to be experienced. It's almost as relaxing as not having the job at
all, but pays better. (-:

--
If at first you don't succeed, try a shorter bungee.