[plug] Dial-up server (ping, proxy, telnet)

Leon Brooks leon at brooks.smileys.net
Fri Jun 9 12:51:17 WST 2000

Kai wrote:
> Now the only problem is when I dial in to the server I can ping the server,
> but,  I can't surf past it.

Can you _ping_ past it?

Are you supposed to browse through a proxy, and not doing that?

Does your _home_ machine have forwarding enabled, if Linux?

Is your home machine Windows?

Have you tried dialling from home with the laptop that works in the
office, or have you only dialled from your home machine?

> All routing is as it should be (just to test the
> dial-in works I hooked up a laptop to a phone plug in the same room as the
> server, dialled into the server and it worked fine, surfing...email, no
> worries - the server is attatched via ethernet to the internet) but for some
> reason when I dial in from outside of work

You're not hitting a different dialin port/rack or anything?

> I can't surf anywhere and
> telnetting to the server is extremely slow.

Telnetting? To which server? (-;

--
If at first you don't succeed, try a shorter bungee.