[plug] Which RPM?

Peter Wright pete at cygnus.uwa.edu.au
Fri Jun 9 15:30:57 WST 2000

On Fri, Jun 09, 2000 at 03:14:40PM +0800, Mike Holland wrote:
> On Fri, 9 Jun 2000, Earnshaw, Mike wrote:
> > Trying to find which RPM contains a file. Normally I would use:
> >
> > rpm -qf <looking for> i.e. /bin/pwd
>
> Thats only useful if the package is already installed, and the file
> exists.

Ah yes, there is that minor detail. ;]

> > Any clues please? Thanks
>
> Well, in this case, it was kind of obvious, but I too would be
> interested in the easiest way of searching uninstalled RPM packages.

Most of the time when I'm working on RH systems and am seeking what I
know should be a "standard" (ie. something packaged with a standard
RH distribution) package, I generally just have a look at

http://mirror.aarnet.edu.au/pub/linux/redhat/redhat-6.0/i386/RedHat/RPMS/

(or the equivalent dir on any given RH mirror site)

make a guess of the package name and search for that guess. In the
given case, "patch" would have been my first guess, so having a RH
system at hand to check out wasn't much help.

I know it's not a terribly robust solution, but it's proved effective
enough so far. :)

> Mike Holland  <mike at golden.wattle.id.au>

Pete.
--
http://cygnus.uwa.edu.au/~pete/

89. In addition to your e-mail address being on your business cards
    you even have your own domain.