[plug] Sendmail Is it possible to spool mail locally

Mike Holland myk at golden.wattle.id.au
Sat Jun 10 14:12:21 WST 2000

On Fri, 9 Jun 2000, James Robert New wrote:

>  Using Fetchmail has eased the receiving  bit but being curious I would like
> to give Sendmail a go.

James,
its not too hard. Just install sendmail, and add to /etc/ppp/ip-up.local :

	/usr/sbin/sendmail -q

That will fluch the queue when you dial in. Check the HOWTOs, you may need
some small config changes. Tell the client mail progs your new SMTP
address. No need to send via your ISPs SMTP server, unless you want to.

> The idea is to avoid dial on demand, by storing the mail on the system
> somewhere till I do connect then have  automated mail sending.
> I feel that sendmail can do this.

Yes, that much is very easy.

> I have been reading Sendmail for Linux by Rich Blum but it seems to land on
> either side of my requirement and I have been unable to bridge the gap.
> So I would really appreciate  a point in the right direction.

Overkill! The HOWTOs should be plenty.

> I hope I have supplied enough detail about my problem.

:-) yes.

Mike Holland  <mike at golden.wattle.id.au>
                          --==--