[plug] Internet connection failures:

Christian christian at amnet.net.au
Sat Jun 10 15:56:44 WST 2000

On Sat, Jun 10, 2000 at 03:36:12PM +0800, Len Bird wrote:
> However I am unable to get a completed connection to my ISP using kppp,
> simple though the procedure for setting up is. The breakdown comes about
> after log in and at the end of the usrer/password routine.  The error
> message recieved suggests that
> the "Secret Password" is either missing or incorrect, a further error
> message advises  that the "daemon has died unexpectedly"    I have
> needless to say checked the password and other data minutely but cannot
> make any progress. Mandrake/KDE
> appears to support "user" use of the kppp dialer, whereas  more often
> than not SU is required to access the system.

I don't use KDE or kppp so I'm not really familiar with them but
assuming it's just a GUI wrapper around pppd then it might be worth
checking where pppd is writing it's log messages to.  The messages in
there may be more useful (although you may need to switch the 'debug'
option on first to be really helpful).  Also, you might want to check
whether pppd is setuid-root or not:

daisy:~$ ls -l /usr/sbin/pppd
-rwsr-xr--    1 root     dip        105884 Jun 19  1998 /usr/sbin/pppd

If pppd is setuid then I don't think kppp should need to be but you
might want to check it anyway because, as I said, I'm not really
familiar with it.

Regards,

Christian.