[plug] re: can see Samba server

Matt Kemner zombie at wasp.net.au
Sun Jun 11 14:24:25 WST 2000

> So you are saying it is better to have the dial-up PC on the same network?

Yes, because the SMB protocol is heavily reliant on broadcast traffic, so
works better when all hosts are on the same network.

> can a route be setup to handle the two networks or is it better to be on the
> same network.

If the remote PC were running ilnux, you could tell samba to announce
itself on the other network, but I don't know of any way to get windows to
do that.

>  The person that setup the dial-up always set up dial-ups on
> different networks.  I've posted the question to him as to why he does it
> this way.

It is certainly an unusual way to do it, but a perfectly valid one.
Maybe he just likes to keep them seperated.

 - Matt