[plug] re: can see Samba server

Mike Holland myk at golden.wattle.id.au
Mon Jun 12 11:46:53 WST 2000

On Sun, 11 Jun 2000, Millers wrote:

> Matt,
> I was told it's because (and he has a point) the dialup is on a differnet
> network (eg not the same local lan) due to protocols being used.  IP on the
> local and PPP on the dialup.  So I guess I'll need to set-up a route between
> the .2 and .1 network.

Jon,
physically they _are_ two different networks, and in the original theory
would have different network numbers, but in this case its easier to fake
it and pretend they are one. Linux and proxyarp allow this. To other
machines on your network, both the Linux-dialup and win98 machines have
the same ethernet address.
  I hope that clarifies it a little. (And is right?)

Mike Holland  <mike at golden.wattle.id.au>
                          --==--