[plug] re: can see Samba server

Raven ian.kent at pobox.com
Sun Jun 11 17:44:10 WST 2000

Matt Kemner wrote:

> > I was told it's because (and he has a point) the dialup is on a differnet
> > network (eg not the same local lan) due to protocols being used.  IP on the
> > local and PPP on the dialup.
>
> But you're encapsulating IP over the PPP link.
> And that's what proxyarp is there for.

I believe that is correct also. Although I have not done it that way in the past
I seem to remember most PPP provider packages have the functioality suggested by
Matt.

> Then again you may find even after changing the IP it still doesn't work -
> I don't know all the intricasies of the SMB protocol, nor do I have any
> desire to do so, but it is still the first thing I'd suggest, because of
> the reliance on broadcast packets that is inherent in the SMB protocol.

You may be able to get this to work by defining the server names in the windows
hosts file (something like c:\windows\hosts) or the lmhosts (something like
c:\windows\hosts) file. The lmhosts file is used to provide NetBIOS name lookup
to clients that cannot resolve names by broadcast on the local net.