[plug] Samba won't start

John Breen jbreen at wn.com.au
Mon Jun 12 13:33:56 WST 2000

Over the weekend, I did a rebuild of my RH kernel to cull some
unneeded bits.  It all compiled fine and built the kernel, which I
duly installed and set up in LILO and so forth.

Now, when I reboot my PC (not something I do often, but...), Samba
doesn't get started.  I have to start it manually.  The script to do
it is still there in /etc/rc.d/init.d, as evidenced by the fact that
I can do /etc/rc.d/init.d/smb restart, and have Samba start up OK, it
just never gets started as part of the boot process.

FWIW, I configured my kernel with

make xconfig

from /usr/src/linux, then did

make dep;make clean
make bzImage
mv /lib/modules/2* /lib/modules/2*old (there was only one modules dir
there, so it worked, OK?)
make modules
make modules_install
cp /usr/src/linux/arch/i386/boot/bzImage /boot/20000611

(Add the new image to /etc/lilo.conf, by copying everything from the
default image's entry and putting the new image name in instead of
the default.  I know this isn't the best way to do it, but...)

lilo

Lilo adds the image OK.

Thinking everything was ok now, I did

reboot

PC went away, did its rebooting stuff and came up with a login
prompt.  So far, so good.  I try to log in from my Winblows box only
to get "Unable to locate a login server for the domain..."  Quick
look through log files and such reveals that Samba never restarted.

Why not?  Any ideas, anyone?

Regards,

John Breen