[plug] Samba won't start

Mike Holland myk at golden.wattle.id.au
Mon Jun 12 13:46:35 WST 2000

On Mon, 12 Jun 2000, John Breen wrote:

> Now, when I reboot my PC (not something I do often, but...), Samba
> doesn't get started.  I have to start it manually.  The script to do
> it is still there in /etc/rc.d/init.d, as evidenced by the fact that
> I can do /etc/rc.d/init.d/smb restart, and have Samba start up OK, it

Modern Linux uses System-V initialization. The /etc/rc.d/init.d/smb script
is run via symbolic links in /etc/rc.d/rc?.d/  , where '?' is the
run-level. What is your level ?   ( "grep initdefault /etc/inittab" )
  Do you have e.g. /etc/rc.d/rc3.d/S35smb -> ../init.d/smb

That will start SMB on bootup. "K35smb" means its off.

Mike Holland  <mike at golden.wattle.id.au>
                          --==--