[plug] RedHat upgrading...

Peter Wright pete at cygnus.uwa.edu.au
Mon Jun 12 17:14:42 WST 2000

On Mon, Jun 12, 2000 at 04:57:11PM +0800, Anthony J. Breeds-Taurima wrote:
> On Mon, 12 Jun 2000, Peter Wright wrote:
[ snip problem description ]
> > Any up-to-date Redhatters out there know if this can be done (and if
> > so, how?)
>
> Ummm I know it's not quite the answer you're looking for BUT here are some
> options.
>
> *) try Ctrl-Alt-ESC or Ctrl-Alt-S
>    while the machine is booting that should get you into the BIOS
>
> *) download "tsetup" from the toshiba web site.  Make a DOS boot disk and then
>    run tsetup from there.

I suspect this would be the only option to change the BIOS - I've
actually got a (much older) Toshiba laptop of my own and the only way
I could modify the BIOS was by using a Toshiba DOS boot floppy.

Of course, this involves using a floppy drive too. :-)

> *) USE with care.  mount the cdrom cd to the /mnt/cdrom/RedHat/RPMS dir.
>    run rpm -F *.rpm
>    This _should_ install all the "newer" rpms and dependancies from the 6.2
>    CD.  I know rpm -F work BUT i've NEVER used it to upgrade an entire distro
>    before.

That would scare me - I wouldn't want to risk doing something like
that unless I was desperate. Redhat RPM interdependencies can be a
little unpredictable.

Solution did present itself eventually - a floppy drive that attaches
to the laptop was found, we made a RH boot floppy and booted from that
into the update facility.

Sort of annoying that there _isn't_ a way of doing this from within
a current running system, but oh well. Debian has to differentiate
itself somehow I guess. :-)

> Good luck.
> Yours Tony.

Thanks Tony,

Pete.
--
http://cygnus.uwa.edu.au/~pete/

97. Your mother tells you to remember something, and you look for
    a File/Save command.