[plug] difference between rlogin and telnet?

Richard Sharpe sharpe at ns.aus.com
Tue Jun 13 15:52:59 WST 2000

At 12:50 PM 6/13/00 +0800, Jason Nicholls wrote:
>Hello,
>
>On Tue, Jun 13, 2000 at 11:38:00AM +0800, Matt Kemner wrote:
>> On Tue, 13 Jun 2000, McMeikan, Andrew wrote:
>>
>> > I believe there may be some significance in telnet using TCP and rlogin
>> > using UDP
>>
>> Rlogin does not use UDP, it uses TCP.
>>
>> live:~# grep login /etc/services
>> login           513/tcp
>
>I think the bigger differences are with the design. Rlogin makes use of RPC
>(remote procedure calls) while telnet is a more traditional client/server
type
>network program.

I could be wrong about this, as I have not written an Ethereal dissector
for rlogin, but given the origin and date that the R* protocols were
written, I would find it hard to believe that rlogin uses RPC.

Hang about, consults Stevens (RIP) and bzzzt, nope, rlogin does not use
RPC. It is even simpler than telnet (having written a decoder for Telnet
and some telnet client code in the past).

>Later,
>
>Jason Nicholls
>Jason Nicholls    icq: 11745841    email: <jason at mindsocket.com.au>
>Proprietor                        mobile: 0417 410 811
>Mind Socket [web services]          http://www.mindsocket.com.au/

Regards
-------
Richard Sharpe, sharpe at ns.aus.com
Co-author, SAMS Teach Yourself Samba in 24 Hours
Author: First Australian 5-day, intensive, hands-on Linux SysAdmin course
Author: First Australian 2-day, intensive, hands-on Samba course