[plug] difference between rlogin and telnet?

Jason Nicholls jason at mindsocket.com.au
Tue Jun 13 13:55:34 WST 2000

Hiya,

On Tue, Jun 13, 2000 at 04:52:59PM +0900, Richard Sharpe wrote:
> At 12:50 PM 6/13/00 +0800, Jason Nicholls wrote:
> >Hello,

> >> Rlogin does not use UDP, it uses TCP.
> >>
> >> live:~# grep login /etc/services
> >> login           513/tcp
> >
> >I think the bigger differences are with the design. Rlogin makes use of RPC
> >(remote procedure calls) while telnet is a more traditional client/server
> type
> >network program.
>
> I could be wrong about this, as I have not written an Ethereal dissector
> for rlogin, but given the origin and date that the R* protocols were
> written, I would find it hard to believe that rlogin uses RPC.

doh!

> Hang about, consults Stevens (RIP) and bzzzt, nope, rlogin does not use
> RPC. It is even simpler than telnet (having written a decoder for Telnet
> and some telnet client code in the past).

Well, I was recalling stuff from my recent Computer Commuication course at
uni, and I quote:

	There are a number of utilities available on our UNIX machines which
	use RPC. They are:

		rlogin
		rcp
		rsh
		nfs	<- well I know this one is

Can someone with "the knowledge" clarify this for me?

Later,

Jason Nicholls