[plug] 6502 WAS: Netmeeting

Brad Campbell brad at seme.com.au
Tue Jun 13 16:55:15 WST 2000

Mike Holland wrote:

> On Tue, 13 Jun 2000, Brad Campbell wrote:
>
> > >    And finally, let me add that there was nothing _good_ about programming
> > > 6502 assembler ;)   ( e.g. 8 bit stack pointer IIRC)
> >
> > Yeah, but when did you use more than 256 levels of stack when writing
> > in assembler ?
>
> Well brad, its been a while, but even in assembler I expect you might want
> to write re-entrant subroutines. With a 6502 that means a
> software-implemented stack.

I'll admit I have never had to write re-entrant code for an 8 bit
architecture :p)

> > In fact, I know of a couple of very prominent products that STILL use
> > the 6502, not variants of, but THE 6502..
>
> Tell us please! The genuine 40-pin no-extras chip?

Yep, the very same.. I could tell you but as the boards with all the chips
had the numbers scrubbed off them, and I had to identify it by pinout, then
dis-assembling some of the code to verify it, I'm not sure the PERTH based
manufacturer of a best in the world CCTV system would want me mentioning
thier name :p)

Anyway, in the products they are used in, they do exactly what is required
with minimal time and effort, and all the code is hand coded assembler.

I mean really, the 6502 was a piece of cake to program. I started programming
it without an assembler, just used to write the progs out and translate them
to hex, then type in the hex.

I guess this would be an appropriate time to mention I also walked 40K's to
school through 4 feet of snow, and slept with a rock as a pillow..
damn kids.. never had it so good.. mumble grumble mutter..

--
Brad....
"The ultimate result is that some innovations that would