[plug] Netmeeting

Christian christian at amnet.net.au
Fri Jun 9 14:09:53 WST 2000

On Thu, Jun 08, 2000 at 10:48:31PM -0700, Emerge wrote:
> Well for somebody who thinks I'm incoherent and illiterate you seem to have
> deciphered the message pretty well.

That probably reflects better on him than it does on you.

>  Microsoft NetMeeting has been around for as long time obviously longer than
> you if your going to be a smart arse don't bother answering the question .

He obviously wanted to answer your question but wanted to be sure that
the help he provided was useful.  If you could be bothered explaining
yourself clearly then why should anyone be bothered trying to help you?
And yet, Peter was. (Mike too).  As for Microsoft NetMeeting, this is a
Linux-related list so why should anyone have necessarily heard of it?

> I would have thought that the people in this group would get  a little sick
> of highly detailed questions when it must be quite obvious to all that there
> are very few ways of providing such a service to other computers in a local
> area network i.e IP-masquerading

I think most people find detail on a technical list quite appropriate.

> I am a new user of Linux and have placed many question with this group and
> nobody has had reason to complain or insult me regarding the clarity of the
> questions.

I guess you were wrong then although, as Peter has pointed out, he was
criticising your query not you as a person.

> I am 44 years old and have been into (Oh sorry programming, using ,playing
> with ) computers for 25 years and have probably forgot more than you will
> ever know like the good old days of  code like  6502 assembler and so on I
> suppose you never heard of that either .
> I develop database systems that provide me with a reasonable income.
> I own and run a mechanical workshop and I own run a drilling company here in
> the goldfields how much do you make.

Wow, you've impressed me so much.  I guess it just shows there are many
things that age, experience and money simply cannot bring to a person.

> I don't care if you don't mean to be nasty but let me tell you Mate I'm
> pissed Yar smart arse prick.

[awed silence because I'm just so impressed]

> Linux is not the only system on the planet.

Thank god.  Now, if you're not prepared to be polite to people who try
to help you then I for one would much prefer it if you just went and
used a different system.

> Im sorry the rest of the group has to see this message it is directed at
> Peter Wright only.

You can add me to that list.

> Regards Bob Andrews.
> P.S anybody can use a spell checker.

As Pete has already pointed out, that doesn't necessarily add any
clarity, sense or intelligence to the content of the message.

BTW, I have a feeling the problem you might be having is because
NetMeeting probably requires the ability for connections to be made to
the machine on which it is being run and, if you're running it on a
masqueraded machine then this will not be possible and some things won't
work.

Regards,

Christian.