[plug] School proxy/monitoring saga

Peter Wright pete at cygnus.uwa.edu.au
Thu Jun 15 11:15:47 WST 2000

Sorry Mike, I rearranged your text a bit cos I'm philosophically
opposed to Jeopardy-style quoting. :)

On Thu, Jun 15, 2000 at 11:03:21AM +0800, Mike Hasleby wrote:
> Petter Reinholdtsen wrote:
> > [Christian]
> > > Wouldn't Linux fall into that same "backyard" non-proprietary
> > > category?  I have a feeling the software she would run under
> > > Linux would have the same level of support as Linux itself.
> > > (Whatever that is.)

Well, there _are_ companies offering support on Linux and common
Linux-based software. Just that pretty much all the ones I've heard of
are based in the US - although I think Redhat and possibly Linuxcare
(despite their financial (and other) problems) are in the process of,
or already have, set up Australian outposts.

> > Are there really no company in WA giving professional support on
> > Linux?
>
> From memory Leon gave offered  his services and suggested two others
> who could help them out

Yeah, he did. I re-stated that too in my response to her and
emphasised that that should be more than adequate for her purposes.
Hell, if I remember rightly, Luyer (who I think is still working at
UWA on the UCS network) is actually a Squid developer. If they're
willing to pay the price, there's quite a number of very skilled
people in WA able to provide support for limited periods of time.

As far as getting Linux support in WA, I would probably suggest an
email-based support contract with Redhat or Linuxcare - along with a
moderately clueful, though not necessarily Linux-fluent, tech person
adminning the machine should suffice admirably.

If anyone _does_ know of a company that provides professional Linux
and/or Squid support in WA, I'd certainly be interested to hear about
it.

> Mike Hasleby

Pete.
--
http://cygnus.uwa.edu.au/~pete/

107. When using your phone you forget that you don't have to use your
     keyboard.