[plug] OT: RAM and X-Rays

Christian christian at amnet.net.au
Sat Jun 17 17:25:43 WST 2000

Hi all,

This is slightly off topic but still obliquely relevant.  I'm interested
if anyone can suggest what the effect might be on RAM if exposed briefly
to x-rays, in particular, what would the effects be on data stored in
the RAM at the time?  I'm thinking there probably wouldn't be any effect
but I know RAM itself tends to be pretty sensitive so I thought I'd ask
for another opinion.  The main scenario for this would be someone taking
their Palm (Pilot) with them when travelling on an aircraft and
therefore having to pass through the x-ray machine -- since all
applications and data on a Palm are stored in volatile RAM I'd like to
know if I could potentially lose everything...

Regards,

Christian.