[plug] chown as a user?

Colin Muller colin at durbanet.co.za
Mon Jun 19 10:40:35 WST 2000

Trevor Phillips wrote:

> Oh, and I AM the Sysadmin. ^_^

I'll be following you around with my camera.

> Right now I'm toying with a Queue-based publishing system, with a completely
> separate daemon handling the publishing.

I've found people are generally happy with having content pulled through
every n hours by a cron job (which can be as simple as a wget call).
That way the cron job can run as root (I'm also sysadmin - put that
camera down) or whichever user owns the production site directories, and
these directories needn't be writable at all by the httpd user. Then you
.htaccess (or similar) your staging site where people will be writing
to, allowing the cron job owner unpassworded read access. Something like
that - there's a thousand ways to skin this cat.

Colin