[plug] CD Writer configuration

Colin Muller colin at durbanet.co.za
Sun Jun 18 15:39:36 WST 2000

Len Bird wrote:

> Can somebody tell me the file system identy for my new
> HP CD-Writer plus :  e.g.  in my current FSTAB the
> CD-ROM drive is ISO 9660 this will not work with the
> HP CD Writer although there is no problem getting
> the drive to load operating systems etc.

iso9660 should be okay. You don't say whether it's SCSI or parallel
port. If the former I don't know much; if the latter, have you read up
on parport and paride? There are modules to insmod, etc. Can't remember
where, but a search will turn them up.

On a RH kernel 2.2.5-22 system, I ended up using short shell scripts to
set up my (parallel port) HP drive for writing and reading. No guarantee
your system will require the same, but for what it's worth (all run as
root, and a couple of bits are just diagnostic):

Setting up to read:
insmod paride
insmod epat
insmod pcd
mount /dev/pcd0 /mnt/cdrom
[Then you use it like any other CD drive]

Unmounting after read:
umount /mnt/cdrom
rmmod pcd
rmmod epat
rmmod paride

Setting up to write:
/sbin/modprobe paride
/sbin/modprobe epat
/sbin/insmod pg drive0=0x0378,0,0,-1,-1,0 verbose=1
/usr/local/bin/cdrecord -scanbus
/usr/local/bin/cdrecord -checkdrive -dev=1,0,0

[The 0's, 1's, 0378 etc might well be different for you.]

Then the cdrecord command is like this:
cdrecord -v -speed=2 -dev=1,0,0 /cdimage/cd/cd_image.iso
[replace the .iso path with the path to whatever .iso file you're using]

And after writing:
/sbin/rmmod pg
/sbin/rmmod epat
/sbin/rmmod paride

There's probably some GUI which makes this all push-button; I never felt
the need to look for one.

Colin