[plug] CD Writer configuration

Len Bird lenbird at iinet.net.au
Mon Jun 19 15:51:52 WST 2000

Colin Muller wrote:

> Len Bird wrote:
>
> > Can somebody tell me the file system identy for my new
> > HP CD-Writer plus :  e.g.  in my current FSTAB the
> > CD-ROM drive is ISO 9660 this will not work with the
> > HP CD Writer although there is no problem getting
> > the drive to load operating systems etc.
>
> iso9660 should be okay. You don't say whether it's SCSI or parallel
> port. If the former I don't know much; if the latter, have you read up
> on parport and paride? There are modules to insmod, etc. Can't remember
> where, but a search will turn them up.
>
> On a RH kernel 2.2.5-22 system, I ended up using short shell scripts to
> set up my (parallel port) HP drive for writing and reading. No guarantee
> your system will require the same, but for what it's worth (all run as
> root, and a couple of bits are just diagnostic):
>
> Setting up to read:
> insmod paride
> insmod epat
> insmod pcd
> mount /dev/pcd0 /mnt/cdrom
> [Then you use it like any other CD drive]
>
> Unmounting after read:
> umount /mnt/cdrom
> rmmod pcd
> rmmod epat
> rmmod paride
>
> Setting up to write:
> /sbin/modprobe paride
> /sbin/modprobe epat
> /sbin/insmod pg drive0=0x0378,0,0,-1,-1,0 verbose=1
> /usr/local/bin/cdrecord -scanbus
> /usr/local/bin/cdrecord -checkdrive -dev=1,0,0
>
> [The 0's, 1's, 0378 etc might well be different for you.]
>
> Then the cdrecord command is like this:
> cdrecord -v -speed=2 -dev=1,0,0 /cdimage/cd/cd_image.iso
> [replace the .iso path with the path to whatever .iso file you're using]
>
> And after writing:
> /sbin/rmmod pg
> /sbin/rmmod epat
> /sbin/rmmod paride
>
> There's probably some GUI which makes this all push-button; I never felt
> the need to look for one.
>
> Colin

Thanks for the information, but unfortunately I omitted to say that the
interface is IDE and the
 RW H-P drive was simply replacing an existing Read Only CD-ROM Drive ,
hence the existing
 configuration. The error messages suggest that Linux 'sees' a different
File System on the R/W
drive as opposed to the Read Only CD=ROM drive.

If you have any other ideas on offer I would be most gratefull,

Thanks,   Len Bird